Wednesday 29 August 2012

Sports vest

As much as I may lack talent for any sports - and sadly I do  - this slight inadvertence doesn't stop me from coveting the amazing sportswear of the 20's and 30's. Can't even legitimate my love for this gear through attending sports events as a spectator, I'm that disinterested.
Luckily, the modern ways of wearing sports clothing as casual wear are for once in favour of my inclinations. It is still tough to push through an equestrian outfit when missing the horse, but I reckon this cricket looking little number won't have to face the same challenges.


As you can see it was inspired by the beautiful fair isle example above. Unfortunately mother doesn't do fair isle, but what I wanted was to replicate the shape, which went pretty well. 
It's also done in a coarser Shetland type wool, which means the overall effect is somewhat bulkier and rougher. I love very textured yarns that cry out loud their provenance. 
I've been wearing this the other day when it started raining, and the wool immediately gave that typical sheep whiff. I was instantly transported back into my childhood to those moments when I was helping my grandmother wash the sheared wool at the river. In fact, the natural, undyed wool in this vest still comes from that village. And that feels pretty good..





6 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a one for sports as well, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good cricket jumper. :) Funnily enough my mother doesn't do fair isle either. ;) In fact these days she rarely knits anything that uses more than two colours(!).

    She did make me a fair isle-esque pullover using a clever design of wool called "magic yarn" though, which is a very effective shortcut.

    http://eclecticephemera.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/woolly-christmas.html

    Wonderful design on the neckline of yours, though - the jumper looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bruce! I've had a look at your jumper, pretty good effect! Perhaps you can share the source of that special yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask my mum but I think she just got it from her local haberdashery. If you try doing an Internet search for something like "magic yarn fair isle" you might get a line on some sources - a few tend to come up. Sorry I can't be more helpful!

      Delete
  3. I adore this look! I went through a period of really liking fitted sweater vests in my teen years (that's my inner preppy coming out there :D), but haven't given too much love since (no idea why not!). This post has inspired me to try this classic piece out again as the temps drop this fall.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful vest. I agree, I look rather silly trying to walk around in my riding boots, even if they are supposed to be in style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty outfit. The high-waisted pants are very chic. I just discovered your blog and like its aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete